Woman Consumes 3-Day-Old Spring Rolls, Dies From Food Poisoning Hours Later

KEY POINTS

  • The woman and her husband were watching a television programme together after having food
  • Suddenly, the woman started experiencing severe stomach pain and rushed to the washroom
  • She was found unconscious on the washroom floor

A woman in Samut Prakan, Thailand, allegedly died from food poisoning hours after she ate a reheated spring roll that was refrigerated for three days.

The unidentified 40-year-old woman and her husband were watching a television programme together Monday afternoon after consuming the reheated spring rolls they purchased from a local street market three days ago. Suddenly, the woman started experiencing severe stomach pain and rushed to the washroom. When she did not return even after one hour, the husband knocked on the washroom door to know if she was doing fine.

However, when she did not respond, he broke open the door and found her unconscious on the floor with vomit all around her, local media reported.

He immediately called the ambulance and attempted CPR till the medics arrived. Unfortunately, the woman was declared dead on the scene by the medics.

Tests revealed the woman died from food poisoning. She was severely dehydrated due to excessive vomiting and diarrhea.

The doctor who conducted the tests told local media that food poisoning is common and the symptoms are usually not that severe. Patients are, however, urged to seek medical help immediately and keep themselves hydrated.

The symptoms of food poisoning include abdominal pain and cramps, diarrhea , nausea, vomiting and fever. If the person continues to suffer from diarrhea for more than three days, he/she is required to seek medical help immediately.

The incident comes weeks after five members of a family in Pakistan died of food poisoning after consuming a lizard in their meal. The family was admitted to the hospital after they showed symptoms of food poisoning. The same day, two children died. A day later, their father also died while receiving treatment. A few days later, his daughter and another four-year-old child, who were initially recovering, stopped responding to treatment and died. Two women remained hospitalized.

Thai Food Stalls This photo taken on September 24, 2020 shows street vendors selling food on a railway track in Bangkok. Photo: ROMEO GACAD/AFP via Getty Images

Source Article

Recommended Articles