President Donald Trump’s physician Dr. Sean Conley said he is doing “very well” Saturday morning and all of his coughing and congestion conditions are steadily improving. Trump’s medical care team said the president has been fever-free for over 24 hours and that he’s in “good spirits.”
Speaking outside of the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Saturday morning, Dr. Conley said Trump’s vitals are normal, and that the president is not on oxygen and “there is no cause for concern” as of Saturday morning. Conley said Trump is not currently taking hydroxychloroquine but the two discussed taking the anti-malarial drug.
Dr. Sean Dooley, a pulmonary critical care physician on-hand for treatment, quipped that the president is ready to get all of the work done that White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows has prepared for him during his illness. Conley declined to say how or when exactly Trump became infected.
“I feel like I could walk out of here today,” the president said Saturday morning, according to Dooley, adding that Trump is getting around the hospital without any assistance. First lady Melania Trump did not require health care or treatment at Walter Reed.
“We are extremely happy with the progress the president has made,” Conley added, noting that all of his vitals and liver and kidney functions are performing normally.
In a Thursday statement, Conley confirmed both President Trump and the first lady tested positive for COVID-19. Trump initially experienced a low-grade fever, chills, nasal congestion and a cough before being sent to Walter Reed Medical Center for continued treatment Friday evening. Conley issued a memo Friday night saying Trump was doing “very well,” and ABC News reported Saturday morning that Trump was no longer experiencing shortness of breath.
A Morning Consult poll published Saturday found only 44 percent of Americans trust the president’s physician to truthfully report Trump’s true health condition.
Trump on Friday took a single dose of the experimental antibody Remdesivir through an IV at the “compassionate use” request of his physician, The Associated Press reported Saturday. Trump is said to only be experiencing mild symptoms including fatigue. The treatment is not authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Conley, a U.S. Navy officer, became the president’s official physician in May 2018, but it wasn’t until May 2020 that he was put in the national spotlight. Two months into the U.S. coronavirus pandemic, Trump announced he was taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure against coronavirus at the direction of Conley.
“After numerous discussions he and I had regarding the evidence for and against the use of hydroxychloroquine, we concluded the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the risks,” Conley wrote in a May 18 statement.
Earlier this week, Trump sent a letter to each of the country’s state governors announcing the availability of 150 million rapid coronavirus tests. The president highlighted the delivery of Abbott Laboratories’ BinaxNOW rapid point-of-care tests for nursing homes, and other vulnerable populations.
Start your unlimited Newsweek trial