Showing: 1 - 5 of 5 RESULTS

Trump says he is ‘medication free’ in an interview with Fox News.

President Trump, in his first televised interview since he announced that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, said Friday night that he was “medication free” and back to normal, a week after he was hospitalized after having trouble breathing.

“I feel very strong,” he said.

In the interview with Dr. Marc Siegel on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Fox News, Mr. Trump claimed that he went to Walter National Reed Military Medical Center last Friday because he “didn’t feel strong.” But the president denied that he had experienced any trouble breathing, despite multiple people close to the White House saying in interviews that he had, in fact, had trouble breathing and that doctors had given him supplemental oxygen at the White House before his transfer to the hospital.

Mr. Trump said that there had been congestion in his lungs and he lauded his CT scans, which he called “amazing.” He also said he had been tested on the day of the interview — a White House official said that it had been filmed earlier Friday — and claimed to be “either at the bottom of the scale or free” of the virus. He added that he was being tested “every couple of days.”

Mr. Trump said that he didn’t know the results of his most recent Covid test.

Credit…Cindy Ord/Getty Images for Siriusxm

“I didn’t feel strong,” he told Dr. Siegel, a Fox News contributor who joked that he was conducting a telemedicine appointment free of charge. “I didn’t have a problem with breathing, which a lot of people seemed to have. I had none of that. I didn’t feel very vital. I didn’t feel like the president of the United States should feel.”

Mr. Trump repeated his claim that he wanted to give all Americans for free an experimental antibody cocktail from Regeneron, which he credits with his quick recovery. He did not explain how he would do that when the drug does not yet have government approval.

“You would have sort of a sore throat, but I felt really very good after taking this for a period of time,” he said. “It’s a transfusion, not a shot. I’d like to send it to everybody.”

Regeneron’s treatment is a combination of two powerful antibodies that are believed to boost the immune response to the virus.

Of the steroid he had taken, dexamethasone, Mr. Trump said he had “tolerated it very well.”

When asked where he thought he had contracted the virus, Mr. Trump used the passive voice and took no responsibility for the spread of the virus after the White House announcement of the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court — a gathering that Dr. Anthony Fauci said Friday qualified as a “super-spreader event.”

Mr. Trump said that as of eight hours before the taping, he was “medication free.”

On Friday, the White

Trump dodges tough questions on his health during rambling interview on Tucker Carlson’s show

Donald Trump; Tucker Carlson
Donald Trump; Tucker Carlson

Donald Trump and Tucker Carlson Photo illustration by Salon/Getty Images

Donald Trump’s appearance on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show, less than a week since the president returned from being hospitalized for COVID-19, revealed very little about Trump’s health or infectiousness. Yet unintentionally,  the president seems to have dropped some clues about the seriousness of his condition during the rambling, tangent-ridden interview.

The interview on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” was conducted by Dr. Marc Siegel, a Fox News contributor who has defended Trump’s poor handling of the American coronavirus outbreak, compared the pandemic to the flu and in 2016 raised concerns about the neurological health of then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton despite never having examined her in person.

Carlson set a hagiographic tone for the segment at the beginning, describing Trump’s supposed “remarkable turnaround” before allowing Siegel to conduct the interview. The two were not in the same room: Siegel was in a studio and Trump was in the White House, being filmed separately. Trump and Siegel’s conversation wandered, from Trump blaming China for the virus and repeatedly mentioning Regeneron (a company that gave him an experimental drug and with which he has personal ties) to describing himself as “very strong,” offering to donate his plasma and claiming that he has improved faster and better than others who have had COVID-19.

Despite these attempts to project that he was “virile,” Trump admitted that the disease had made him feel “tired,” adding that “my life is based a little bit on energy and I didn’t have it.” While downplaying his symptoms, however, Trump promised to freely give away the drugs that he has previously claimed constituted a “cure” for him. (Curiously, Trump has been consistently opposed to universal healthcare policies that might make such drugs free and accessible, though he was treated by the military healthcare system that has been likened to an exclusive form of universal healthcare).

Related Articles

Trump also stated that was “medication-free.” “I’m not taking any medications as of eight hours ago,” he claimed.

Trump also claimed that his Secret Service agents did not mind his Walter Reed hospital drive-by, which involved close physical contact with the security detail. Some current and former Secret Service agents interviewed by CNN were “frustrated” by Trump’s publicity stunt. “We’re not disposable,” one said.

Trump declined to say if he had received a test for the virus today that might definitively say if he had cleared the virus from his system. “I have been retested and I haven’t even found out numbers or anything yet …. I’m at either the bottom of the scale or free,” the president said. Based on reports of infections, the CDC recommends that those who have had COVID-19 refrain from being around others until at least 10 days since their first symptoms appeared and 24 hours since their fever waned without the use of “fever-reducing medications.”

Trump also denied experiencing any of the psychological symptoms that frequently accompany dexamethasone, the steroid that he

Trump gives overview of COVID-19 case in first on-camera interview since diagnosis

President TrumpDonald John TrumpBiden campaign raises over M on day of VP debate Trump chastises Whitmer for calling him ‘complicit’ in extremism associated with kidnapping scheme Trump says he hopes to hold rally Saturday despite recent COVID-19 diagnosis MORE on Friday participated in his first on-camera interview since testing positive for COVID-19, during which he admitted that he remained hospitalized for observation after scans showed some congestion in his lungs and touted the benefits of his early treatment.

The president offered a rosy outlook of his path forward in a pre-recorded interview with Fox News medical contributor Marc Siegel. Trump spoke to Siegel from the Rose Garden, while the doctor was based in a network studio.

Trump insisted that he was feeling well and that he had been “medication free” since earlier in the day. But he acknowledged that he experienced fatigue and could have faced a more dire outcome without the access to medical care he has as president.

“They tested the lungs, they checked for the lungs and they tested with different machinery … and it tested good,” Trump said of his stay at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. “Initially I think they had some congestion in there, but ultimately it tested good. And with each day it got better, and I think that’s why they wanted me to stay.”

The president also reported feeling fatigued after contracting the virus. While he did not discuss it on Friday, Trump also required supplemental oxygen, according to his physician, before being taken to the hospital.

The president — who has repeatedly downplayed the severity of the virus and falsely claimed that the disease affects “virtually” no young people — highlighted the importance of early treatment for combating COVID-19.

“The biggest thing is that I did do it early,” Trump said. “Now I have such great access to medical … so it’s a lot easier for me than somebody who doesn’t have access to a doctor so easily.”

“And, you know, I think it would have gotten a lot worse. One of the doctors said he thought it would have gotten a lot worse,” he added. “I just think that even these medications, they’re a lot better if you get them early than if you get them late. I think going in early is a big factor in my case.”

The president tested positive for COVID-19 on Oct. 1. He was taken to the hospital on Oct. 2, and he was discharged Oct. 5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance advises that those infected with COVID-19 isolate for at least 10 days from the onset of symptoms, or longer in more serious cases.

Trump has repeatedly touted the benefits of an antibody cocktail he was given upon his diagnosis, calling it a “miracle” and a “cure.” But the treatment from Regeneron is still in the trial phase and is not widely available to the public.

Trump has politicized other treatments for the virus, including hydroxychloroquine, and pushed

Trump Says He Is Off Medication for Coronavirus in First On-Camera Interview Since Hospitalization

MANDEL NGAN/AFP via Getty Images President Donald Trump

Donald Trump opened up about his hospitalization and coronavirus symptoms during his first on-camera interview on Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Tonight on Friday.

While billed as on virtual on-camera “medical evaluation” by Dr. Marc Siegel, the president, 74, instead answered questions about his time in the hospital and how he is feeling now.

Trump, who was hospitalized for three days after he announced he tested positive for the virus, said that he’s feeling “really good” and has been off medication for eight hours.

Admitting that he didn’t feel very “vital” upon his hospitalization last Friday, Trump said his symptoms included a sore throat and lack of energy.

“I didn’t have a problem with breathing… I had none of that,” Trump told Siegel over a video call from New York.

However, doctors were concerned after a CT scan revealed some congestion on his lungs but “with each day it got better,” according to the president.

Now, Trump said that his treatment has concluded and he will be tested again for COVID-19 tomorrow.

“I think really nothing,” he said when Siegel asked what medications he was currently taking. “We pretty much finished and now we’ll see how things go.”

RELATED: Trump Insists He Would Be Well Enough for In-Person Debate as Biden Agrees to Replacement Town Hall by Himself

“I have been retested and I know I’m at either the bottom of the scale or free,” Trump said, adding that he will be tested again “probably tomorrow… it’s really at a level now that’s great to see it disappear.”

Trump said that he would be willing to donate his convalescent plasma, which can contain COVID-19 antibodies, now that he’s had the virus.

The president, who had been criticized previously for not acknowledging the plight of the sick or the families who have lost loved ones to the deadly virus, finally expressed concern for those impacted saying he has “incredible love and respect for the families that have suffered so badly” during the pandemic.

SAUL LOEB/Getty Images President Donald Trump leaves Walter Reed Medical Center on Monday.

Siegel is a clinical professor in the Department of Medicine at NYU Langone Health who specializes in influenza but has like the president made a number of false assertions about the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both Trump, 74, and Siegel, 64, have claimed the anti-malarial drug Hydroxychloroquine is effective against the coronavirus, while medical studies show it’s not.

Siegel also called health officials at the World Health Organization “a bunch of alarmists” in March, while saying “there’s no reason to believe it’s actually more problematic or deadly than influenza.”

In reality, COVID-19 has killed some 210,000 people so far, more people in the U.S. than the last five flu seasons combined, data shows.

ALEX EDELMAN/AFP via Getty Images President Donald Trump waves to onlookers during a brief trip outside Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Sunday.

Downplaying the novel coronavirus compared to the seasonal flu is a

Trump didn’t disclose first positive COVID-19 test in Fox News interview with Sean Hannity: report

LAS VEGAS, NV – SEPTEMBER 20: Fox News Channel and radio talk show host Sean Hannity (L) interviews U.S. President Donald Trump before a campaign rally at the Las Vegas Convention Center on September 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images

President Donald Trump did not disclose that he had already tested positive for COVID-19 and was awaiting a second test when he was interviewed by Fox News host Sean Hannity on Thursday, according to a new report.

Trump received a positive result from a rapid test on Thursday evening before his Fox News interview, The Wall Street Journal reported. The president mentioned that his top aide, Hope Hicks, had tested positive for COVID-19 — but not that he was awaiting the results of a second test to confirm the preliminary result.

“I’ll get my test back either tonight or tomorrow morning,” Trump told Hannity hours before confirming on Twitter that he and first lady Melania Trump had both tested positive for the disease.

Trump appears to have attempted to keep Hicks and other aides’ positive results under wraps, as well. 

“Don’t tell anyone,” Trump told an adviser after their own positive test, according to the report.

Campaign manager Bill Stepien, who worked closely with Trump and Hicks on debate preparations, was not informed of Hicks’ positive test until Bloomberg News reported it on Thursday. The Trump campaign announced Stepien tested positive on Friday.

Trump traveled to a fundraiser at his New Jersey golf club despite the White House learning he had been exposed earlier in the day. More than 200 people may have been exposed at the event, according to the New Jersey Department of Health.

“Holding the event in spite of knowing that one of the team was infected and had exposed others was a recipe for spreading disease,” Lisa Lee, an infectious disease expert at Virginia Tech University, told The Journal.

The lack of disclosure has alarmed White House aides as the virus continues to impact advisers, senators, reporters and attendees of Trump’s Supreme Court announcement last month.

“I’m glued to Twitter and TV, because I have no official communication from anyone in the West Wing,” one administration official told The Journal.

Trump has continued to try to keep his condition concealed from the public. White House physician Dr. Sean Conley told reporters on Saturday that the president was recovering well at Walter Reed Medical Center moments before White House chief of staff Mark Meadows privately contradicted his statement to reporters.

“The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care,” Meadows said Saturday. “We are still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”

The disclosure “outraged” the president, CNN reported.

“Who the f— said that?” Trump complained, according to The Journal.

Conley admitted on Sunday that he had falsely told reporters that the president had not received supplemental oxygen on Saturday. He went