CLOSE

Sports Pulse: Mike Jones breaks down his top five QB picks

USA TODAY

PHOENIX – Some parents debated whether to hide their kids’ COVID-19 test results last week after at least two Phoenix-area high schools canceled football games because students tested positive.

In the Cave Creek Unified School District, at least 100 students from Cactus Shadows High School were in quarantine this week after students began testing positive for COVID-19, according to a district spokeswoman. 

Cactus Shadows canceled its first two junior varsity and varsity football games of the season, and six students had tested positive after the district returned to in-person classes on Sept. 8. The district would not confirm how many of the cases were student athletes. 

The Scottsdale Unified School District announced last week that a member of Chaparral High School’s varsity football team had tested positive and that the school’s first two junior varsity and varsity football games would be canceled as players quarantined for 14 days. The district’s superintendent later clarified to The Arizona Republic, part of the USA TODAY Network, that two athletes had tested positive.

After the games were canceled, a Facebook page called “Parents in Support of 2020 Football in Arizona” has been picking up steam and has more than 1,400 members.

Anthony Lucas (DT) runs a drill during football practice, September 28, 2020, at Chaparral High School, Scottsdale, Arizona. (Photo: Mark Henle, Mark Henle/The Republic)

Brad Schweigert, a Cave Creek resident and father of a quarterback at Notre Dame Prep, posted in the group last week, calling on parents to “manage COVID-19 testing ourselves” and keep the test results private.

“If the results are positive, then keep him away from the team and tell your coaches he needs a couple weeks off for “personal” reasons,” Schweigert wrote.

Schweigert said in his post that they’d “worked out a deal” with 360Care, a testing provider, to test football families at discounted rates, and that the tests would not be reported to the county.

“I do think we must take control of this issue and manage it ourselves as a parent group,” he wrote. “We have already seen the results on how this will be managed for us if we leave it up to county health and school officials.”

Schweigert said he floated the idea as a safer option. “I’ve seen several people already suggest that no players should get tested for the rest of the season. The way I see it, the plan we have laid out is a much safer and more responsible alternative,” he said in the post. 

Schweigert’s post said 360Care had given football families a code to use for $10 off a test, and that results would